Overview of regional trade negotiations and agreements.
The Legal Instruments of Integration (IJI) database is a compilation of regulatory texts, commentaries, and follow-up on legal commitments and developments of an analytical nature concerning the various integration processes taking place in Latin America and the Caribbean. For news and to learn more about the progress made on trade agreements and negotiations, visit IJI.
This month’s trends
Between the end of June and July 26, 2016, as was the case during the previous month, the regional trade policy agenda was defined by the marked leadership of the Pacific Alliance which, following the outcomes of its 9th Summit (held in July), continues to be the most dynamic regional integration scheme, defining much of the map of regional trade agreements in Latin America and the Caribbean. In comparison with the preceding period, there was greater activity within the other agreements and integration schemes in the region. The agreements that most stand out in this regard are those of Argentina, Chile, and Mexico; also noteworthy are major integration schemes such as the MERCOSUR, SELA, SICA, and UNASUR.
Over the course of the month, progress was made on 18 existing agreements, three new agreements, and seven trade negotiations (one new negotiation and six at an advanced stage).
- Bolivia–El Salvador Bolivia and El Salvador make headway on a trade agreement in the interests of improving cooperation and complementarity (link in Spanish)
- Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP): Government of Peru sends TPP to Congress to be ratified (link in Spanish)
- Central America–South Korea: Central America and South Korea finalize details of FTA for the end of the year (link in Spanish)
- Chile–Central America: Advantages and ways of leveraging the Free Trade Agreement between Chile and Central America (link in Spanish)
- Chile–South Korea: South Korea and Chile hold a forum to celebrate the 12th anniversary of their FTA (link in Spanish), Delegation seeks to expand markets for Chile in South Korea (link in Spanish), Chile and South Korea sign a cooperation agreement on water resources (link in Spanish)
- Colombia–Panama: Colombia prepares a new decree to make up for the WTO ruling on its dispute with Panama (link in Spanish).
- Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC): EU analyzes relations with Cuba and draws up agenda with CELAC (link in Spanish).
- Ecuador–European Union: EU to deliver the text of its trade agreement with Ecuador this month (link in Spanish)
- MERCOSUR–European Union: MERCOSUR–EU move forward with technical consultations and set dates for the meeting of the Biregional Negotiations Committee (BNC) (link in Spanish)
- Colombia–South Korea: FTA between Colombia and South Korea enters into force (link in Spanish)
- Colombia–Costa Rica: FTA between Costa Rica and Colombia valid from August 1 (link in Spanish)
Selected news on trade agreements currently in force
- Pacific Alliance: Pacific Alliance or MERCOSUR: a false dichotomy (link in Spanish), Panama moves closer to becoming part of the Pacific Alliance (link in Spanish), Commitments signed at the Pacific Alliance Summit (link in Spanish), Argentina’s rapprochement with the Pacific Alliance (link in Spanish), Presidents of Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, and the IDB analyze the Pacific Alliance’s achievements and prospects (link in Spanish), Mexico highlights agreements with Chile, Colombia, and Peru (link in Spanish)
- Argentina–Brazil Partial Scope ECA 14: 42nd Additional Protocol (link in Spanish)
- Argentina–Mexico Partial Scope ECA 6: Mexico and Argentina may expand their economic agreement (link in Spanish)
- Latin American Integration Association (ALADI): 10th Negotiation Meeting for the ALADI General Regime of Origin (link in Spanish)
- Central America–European Union: Central America and the European Union launch support program for entrepreneurs (link in Spanish)
- Andean Community (CAN): Ecuador asks CAN to contemplate immediate safeguards (link in Spanish)
- Caribbean Community (CARICOM): CARICOM asks Belize and Guyana to take their disputes to the ICJ (link in Spanish), Communiqué issued at the conclusion of The Thirty-Seventh Regular Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM)
- United States of America–Panama: We need to take advantage of FTAs (link in Spanish)
- Southern Common Market (MERCOSUR): Former president of the IDB highlights the importance of the Pacific for the MERCOSUR (link in Spanish), Uruguay: No consensus over the transfer of the presidency of the MERCOSUR (link in Spanish)
- MERCOSUR–Venezuela: Venezuela adds common external tariff for MERCOSUR (link in Spanish),
- Mexico–European Free Trade Association (EFTA): Mexico and Norway to strengthen relations in matters of energy (link in Spanish)
- Mexico–Costa Rica: Lala to sell its products in Costa Rica (link in Spanish)
- Dominican Republic, Central America–United States of America (CAFTA–DR): ADOZONA insists that CAFTA-DR played a part in regaining Dominican free trade zones (link in Spanish), The Dominican Association of Exporters (Adoexpo) calls for action to help the country leverage CAFTA-DR (link in Spanish)
- Central American Integration System (SICA): Costa Rica returns to SICA (link in Spanish), Central American business community asks to reduce barriers to trade (link in Spanish)
- Latin American Economic System (SELA): SELA concludes seminar on strategies and methodologies for productive articulation, clusters, and export consortia: experiences from Central America and the Caribbean (link in Spanish)
- North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA): Mexico willing to modernize free trade agreement with North America (link in Spanish), Mexico removes restrictions on beef imports from Canada (link in Spanish)
Union of South American Nations (UNASUR): South American citizenship was the main topic at the 5th Round Table of Convergence (link in Spanish)